5 Tips to Help Organize Your Home

As I am working through some organization in my own home in Tampa while moving two kids into one room and one closet and preparing for this new baby due any time now, I wanted to share some things I have learned over the past few weeks!

Here are 5 simple tips:

1. Break It Up. Cut the vast amount of work into more feasible work by dividing the work into stages and splitting the tasks up over several days, or in my case by the week. At the beginning I was so overwhelmed and so I had to create little ‘wins’ along the way. Completing one task, then moving onto the next also allowed us to live in the space while completing the organizing. As you can imagine, this Lego sorting took most of the week, but was not done in one sitting. I was able to score these acrylic storage drawers second hand but here is one link and then another for a similar product.

2. Sort, Sort, Sort. Be ready to sort clothes, toys, and all the miscellaneous items that seem to accompany having kids. It is okay to let go, especially for toys or small items that can get lost in the shuffle. If the item has any value offer it up for sale on Facebook or donate! (My favorite place to donate is “The Vine Thrift Store” in Tampa!)

3. Use the Right Size Bin. If you are using bins, make sure they fit your shelf correctly. I already had a few bins that have been moved around from closet to closet over the years, but the best part is that the closet system is adjustable (check out The Closet Envy's instagram for more storage ideas)! I was able to remove some shelves, add a few hanging rods, and fit all the two kids’ clothing into one closet, whereas before they were in two! I prefer to hang clothing so I can find what I am looking for faster and easier. 6 years ago, when this closet was used for baby clothes, the center section was all shelves with bins, and now is a space to hang shorts so the kids can reach them, and the bins are now on the bottom to store shoes in- this also makes them very accessible. We do not wear shoes in our house so these are more non everyday or seasonal shoes (If they go in these bins they must be sanitized first!).


4. Labeling Is Good.. Most of The Time. Sometimes labeling can help with this new organization but try and not and get too label crazy! Eventually things will change again, as they do with kids. These fabric bins are used for storing clothes and shoes the kids will eventually grow into and sit on the shelves above the hanging and on the very top shelf. These bins have an easy-to-read label (that I have replaced several times over the years), zip closed to keep dust out, and fit the space. The Container Store no longer sells these exact ones but I have found one that is similar linked here. 




5. Don’t Overfill Your Space. Even if you have an extra drawer, bin, or space to hang items it’s okay to just leave that open. It will help you feel much better about what you have accomplished!

I know there are different methods that may work for different people and all in all there will definitely be some real work to do. If you are in the Tampa Bay area and need assistance further beyond what you feel capable of doing yourself let me know! I have an amazing organizer with whom I work with for my clients! Fill out this form on my website so we can set up a time to discuss your project and you can stay up to date on my latest offerings.

Yours Truly, 

Alicia @ AccentYourWalls.com

 





 As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Interior Design Ideas That Inspire Me

How Can I Maximize Storage Space in a Small Closet?